Stand out from the crowd with this refreshing, light yet hearty (8grams of protein in just 1/4 of a cup) summer side dish. It makes enough for lunch the next day, or maybe not .. your guests just might devour it!
Ingredients (use more or less as desired)
- 1 cup of tri-colored Quinoa (I used Trader Joe's)
- 1 cup of Spelt (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 red apple diced
- 1 handful of red seedless grapes, cut in halves
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper diced
- 1/3 cup of cilantro, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup of kale, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup of red onion diced
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt (to taste/desire)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 TBSP of Cumin
- 1 TBSP organic non-salt seasoning (Costco)
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 of lime
- Cook the Quinoa and Spelt as directed *I soak the Spelt either overnight or for a few hours - I cook the Quinoa and Spelt together - once cooked, chill in the fridge for 30-minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix all ingredients except the lime - stir quite a bit to mix all flavors and seasonings together and let sit while the grains chill in the fridge.
- After the grains have cooled, mix with the veggies, stir and then drizzle the lime juice all over and mix together well. Season more if necessary and serve immediately.
Tips and Info
- Always wash your veggies with a vegetable wash and rinse your fruit.
- Buy Organic when possible.
- Spelt is an ancient grain, with a chewy texture and sweet, nutlike flavor. It digests easily and is a good source of iron, magnesium, fiber and protein.